We are seeking the community’s help in an effort to fill our downtown Waukegan empty storefronts with beauty and art. The theme for Waukegan ArtWise 2016 is “Celebrate Our Diverse Community”. The best place to start it seems is to capture who we are…through photographs, portraiture, and works of art that reveal all aspects of our community. Through artists’ eyes our diversity can be celebrated and brought into the light. We need to instill pride. Our hope is that by exhibiting our local artists’ imaginative and expressive works, we will breathe life into our streets with a tribute to Waukegan’s past, our present, our binding spirit of community, our love of culture…planting the seeds of growth and revival.
Photographs and artwork submitted should capture portraits of Waukeganites representing the diverse faces of our community. Subjects may live in Waukegan, have lived in Waukegan, work in Waukegan or otherwise have an affiliation with Waukegan.
Open to artists of all ages living in Lake County, Illinois.
- There is no entry fee to participate.
- Images must be in digital format and submitted via the Online Submission Form.
- Submissions may be in any medium that can be represented in 2 dimensions. You are welcome to submit images of paintings, fiber art and sculptures; however, we only accept digital files.
- Artists may submit up to 10 images each. We require .jpg format. Images can be PORTRAIT or LANDSCAPE orientation. Image files should have a minimum resolution of 3300 pixels high by 2550 pixels wide, 300 dpi, maximum file size 2MB. We recommend a jpg quality compression of 10. File names should be “last name_first name_number of submission 1-10”. Images will be accompanied by a caption sheet/image info sheet with corresponding file name and subject name(s) and any additional info.
- All work will be credited to the artist and copyright to the work remains with the artist. Artists will guarantee that the work being submitted is theirs and there are no claims of ownership or conflicting licensing. Artists further guarantee that they have been granted permission by their subjects to use their image. Waukegan Arts Council and City of Waukegan may use images of your work to promote Waukegan ArtWise and this exhibition using social media, email, flyers, posters, TV spots, etc. The artist grants a royalty free licensing of his or her work for this purpose.
- All files will be printed and mounted by the Waukegan Arts Council. Files will not be returned and will not be used for any other purpose other than event promotion.
- Note: Storefront window spaces are unguarded, subject to intense and direct sunlight, and may not be climate-controlled. Neither the venue nor the organizers of this project take responsibility for loss or damage to the printed images.
- Works showcased will be at the sole discretion of the organizers of this project and available space.
Exhibition Dates: September 17 – November 1, 2016 for the ArtWise community cultural arts series which includes several art exhibits, a speaker’s series, storytelling festival, and the launch of the Windows Project. Our vision is that the Windows Project will extend beyond November 1, 2016 and continue to grow and expand into 2017 with artwork from the schools and others.
All entering artists, their families and friends are cordially invited to an Opening Reception on Saturday evening, September 17, 2016, from 5:00 – 9:00 p.m. at Urban Edge gallery, 220 W. Clayton Street.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact the Waukegan Arts Council at 847-920-4ART or firstname.lastname@example.org.